To work

A credential evaluation indicates with which Dutch level a foreign diploma is comparable. This could be helpful when searching for a job, recruiting employees and coaching clients toward education or a job at an appropriate level.

A credential evaluation is required for certain legal arrangements. Among others, these include:

Read more about applying for a credential evaluation

‘Protected’ professions

Some professions are regulated (protected) in the Netherlands, such as physician, teacher and pharmaceutical technical assistant. This means that you can only work in this profession after permission by the competent authority (the organisation that controls access to the profession). For instance, they check whether you meet the educational requirements for the profession.

At you can check if a profession is protected in the Netherlands. Here, you can also find information about the competent authority for each profession.

A credential evaluation does not grant permission to work in a protected profession.

Credential evaluation through UWV

Are you registered at the Dutch public employment agency (UWV) and do you receive a ZW-, WAZ-, WAO-WIA- of WAJONG-benefit? Then you can apply for a credential evaluation via UWV. The UWV will pay for the evaluation. For this, you need a statement of approval from your UWV arbeidsdeskundige, adviseur werk or reïntegratiebegeleider. For more information, you can check

Apply for a credential evaluation here

Apply for a credential evaluation here